Naomi Osaka won the U.S. Open while making a political statement and her rapper boyfriend, YBN Cordae rooted for her the entire tournament, while also making a political statement. So what if things got a little awkward during a post victory photo op?
Saturday was a lovely day for one of our favorite young Black couples, Naomi Osaka and YBN Cordae. Osaka, who paid tribute to Black lives throughout the US Open, wearing masks bearing the names of Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, and Philando Castile, respectively for each match, wore a mask adorned with Tamir Rice’s name Saturday. Rice was only 12-years-old when he was killed by police in Ohio in 2014.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
Cordae was wearing a Defund The Police tee as he watched Osaka win a 1-6 6-3 6-3 victory over Victoria Azarenka for her second US Open championship and third grand slam title overall. Naomi famously won her first U.S. Open match against Serena Williams in 2018. Last year Osaka took home the win at the 2019 Australian Open. Cordae’s reaction caught a ton of attention on social media. How cute is this?
But things did turn a little awkward for the couple when Osaka posed for photos with her coach and support staff. Footage from after the match showed Cordae, whose body language conveyed he wasn’t really sure he should be part of the photo. Osaka’s coach Wim Fissette ultimately pulled him in to joint the group but he obviously struggled over whether or not to hit a squat — then seemed totally at a loss as to what to do with his hands. Super awkward.
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
YBN Cordae almost forgot where he was at.
Ultra black, unapologetically black. No matter where I’m at. Forever
— Cordae’ (@cordae) September 13, 2020
Yikes… But he pulled it together. Kinda.
They’re so cute — we really can’t even laugh too much.
This article was originally posted on Bossip.com.
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US Open
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam Cup
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian Open
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney Olympics
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French Open
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US Open
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfit
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot Championships
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfit
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfit
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian Open
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French Open
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson Open
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian Open
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US Open
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US Open
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US Open
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian Open
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio Olympics
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio Olympics
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
See Serena and Venus Williams’ eye-popping tennis outfits over the years.
This content was originally published here.