Ruth Bader Ginsburg Plans Post-Surgery Return To Court

After undergoing surgery for early-stage lung cancer last month, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be returning to the Supreme Court with a clean bill of health.

“Her recovery from surgery is on track,” court spokesperson Kathleen L. Arberg said in a statement, NPR reports. “Post-surgery evaluation indicates no evidence of remaining disease, and no further treatment is required.”

It seems nothing can stand in the way of Ginsburg and justice. Even while recovering from surgery and absent from the bench for the first time in her 25 years in the Supreme Court, she continued to work from home, working off of briefs and transcripts. She will continue to work from home next week as she continues to recover, planning to return to the bench before the end of the month. She will sit out oral arguments at the court next week in order to rest.

The Court spokeswoman also said the 85-year-old justice is continuing to recuperate and work from home after doctors removed two cancerous growths from her left lung December 21. Ginsburg was discharged from a New York hospital on December 25.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said in the courtroom Monday that Ginsburg would participate in deciding the argued cases “on the basis of the briefs and transcripts of oral arguments.”

Ginsburg had two earlier cancer surgeries in 1999 and 2009 that did not cause her to miss court sessions. She also has broken ribs on at least two occasions.

The court said in a release on the day of the surgery that doctors found “no evidence of any remaining disease” and that no further treatment is planned.

Appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1993, Ginsburg rebuffed suggestions from some liberals that she should step down in the first two years of President Barack Obama’s second term.

She has hired clerks for the term that extends into 2020, indicating she has no plans to retire.


Original articles can be found on WashingtonPost.com and Refinery29.com